Rustic Quick Cheese Scones.
This little recipe is quick and easy, can be done an hour before tea and only takes 30 minutes from start to cooked!
8oz self-raising flour
1½oz soft butter
¼ pint fresh milk
4oz mature English Cheddar Cheese
(+ a little extra cheese for sprinkling on top)
Pinch of salt
· Sift the flour into a bowl and rub it the butter
· Stir in the salt and cheese
· Stir in slowly the milk
· Now flour hands and knead into a soft dough
· On a floured surface lightly push down until an even thickness of about ¾ of an inch.
· Cut out with scone cutter or knife and place on floured baking tray.
· Sprinkle a pinch or two of cheese on top of each scone.
· Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220°c for 15 minutes.
Eat within a few days, keeping them in an air tight tin, they will of course be best on the day of baking, this recipe will make around 6/8 scones. Gorgeous warm with fresh butter!
- The Ginger Hobbit
- Ashford, Kent, United Kingdom
- “If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien ~ "I love to cook, to create platefuls of happiness, I find that there is no greater complement to a chef than silence while people are eating my food, it shows their enjoyment more that any complement words could express!" - The Ginger Hobbit.