Rustic Fruit Scones.
This recipe I've collated from various sources is quite easy, can be done in the hour before tea and only takes 30 minutes from start to finish!
8oz self-raising flour
1½oz soft butter
1½oz dried fruit
1 tea spn of baking powder
2 tbl spns sugar
Pinch of salt (optional)
6 tbl spns of fresh milk
1 large egg
· Sift the flour into a bowl and rub it the butter
· Stir in the salt, sugar and baking powder
· Stir in the dried fruit
· Whisk milk and egg with a fork and stir in slowly.
· Now flour hands and knead into a soft dough
· On a floured surface lightly push down until an even thickness of about ¾ of an inch.
· Cut out with scone cutter or knife and place on floured baking tray.
· Brush milk on top of each scone.
· Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220°c for 15 minutes.
Eat within a few days, keeping them in an air tight tin, they will of course be best on the day of baking, this recipe will make around 6/8 scones. Gorgeous warm with fresh butter and jam!
- The Ginger Hobbit
- Ashford, Kent, United Kingdom
- “If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien ~ "I love to cook, to create platefuls of happiness, I find that there is no greater complement to a chef than silence while people are eating my food, it shows their enjoyment more that any complement words could express!" - The Ginger Hobbit.