Red Dragon Pie
This is one of the best vegetarian versions of the good 'ol Sheppard's pie! It takes a little prep, but well worth it!
4oz Aduki Beans
1 large Onion (peeled and finely chopped)
8oz Carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
1-2 tsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsps. Tomato Puree
1-2 tsp Mixed Herbs
½ Pint of the bean stock
3oz grated cheese
- Wash and soak the rice and beans overnight. (or Boil them for 1 hour)
- Drain and rinse, and cook at a simmer for 50 minutes, until soft (keep the stock)
- Fry off the carrot and onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and beans.
- Mix in the stock, herbs, soy sauce and tomato puree, season, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- If the mixture is too dry add a little water or stock, you want a moist mixture.
To finish - Put the mixture into a buttered casserole dish and cover with cooked sliced potatoes smothered in grated cheese (or top with cheesy mashed potatoes instead) and place in your pre-heated oven, 180°c for 35-40 minutes.
Tip - A good strong cheese is my preference but use your favourite cheese, you can also put sliced beef tomatoes on the top for extra flavour and colour!